How Facebook news feed updates will affect your advertising
Photo credit: theverge.com
Earlier this year, Facebook implemented a news feed update designed to enhance the average users' Facebook experience. The average News Feed is cluttered with posts from liked pages, sponsored content or un-relatable shared content from old acquaintances. Because of this, people have started spending less time on Facebook. The new update looks to filter out posts from ‘liked’ and ‘sponsored’ pages in an effort to show more content from friends and family. The update will look to present a more 'friends and family' approach to how people view their News Feeds and look to promote content that has high interactivity.
This has grave implications for businesses, large and small, who have relied on Facebook for their primary method of advertising. Businesses will now have to pay MORE to receive LESS in this new design. Traditional paid content will be less effective, and companies will see a dramatic decline in their reach. Although these changes sound sinister to a company who has poured time and money into their Facebook marketing, this update does not necessarily mean you cannot advertise successfully on Facebook.
Mike Stelzner from the Social Media Examiner explains this change in one of his recent articles. He explains that space in the News Feed has become limited, and companies need to find creative ways to capture the attention of their audience, as often the message can be lost in this saturated market. Mike offers these three suggestions in an effort to get creative, and have people engaging with your content;
- Step 1: Scale back your frequency of posts. Less is more here.
- Step 2: Figure out how to create content that will get people talking to EACH OTHER, not just you.
- Step 3: Up your live video game plan. "Live videos often lead to discussion among viewers on Facebook-- in fact, live videos on average get six times as many interactions as regular videos" he says.
Photo credit: www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Step 4: Avoid engagement bait. These are posts that encourage people to comment. Facebook will "demote these posts in News Feed."
- Step 5: Master Facebook ads: This will be one of the only reliable ways you'll be able to drive traffic off Facebook.
- Step 6: Learn Messenger Chatbots: Moving conversations into Messenger and using bots will be a huge trend that will allow you to nurture leads and sell.
Although the way we advertise on Facebook may be changing, this does not mean we cannot still be successful. By being creative and creating interactivity with your target audience successful advertising can be done. Instead of looking at content to post that will meet a quota to get your name out there, focus on high quality posts that will get people commenting and interacting with their friends and family. By doing this, you should continue to see effective and successful results.